What is Generic Lyrica – Pregabalin?
Generic Lyrica (Pregabalin) is an oral drug and is one of the most widely used drugs used by people. This drug is chemically related to goals – gabapentin and is used to treat pain that is caused due to the neurological disease in a person. These diseases include postherpetic neuralgia which is also known as seizures. This drug is also used to treat fibromyalgia which is a medical condition.This drug is only available with prescription and also comes with many generic forms.
Why is the drug Lyrica prescribed to the patients?
The drug Generic Lyrica (Pregabalin) is prescribed to people for many reasons. These reasons are listed below:
- People who are suffering from neuropathic pain such as postherpetic neuralgia or diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
- People with injured spinal cord injury
- This drug is used in combination with other drugs to treat seizures.
- This drug is also used to treat the medical condition fibromyalgia.
Side effects of the drug Generic Lyrica – Pregabalin
There are many warnings related to this drug that people should follow:
- This drug is associated with people who face an extreme risk of suicide. People who use the drug antiepileptic gets their mind balanced which helps them in reducing the risk of suicide. There are people who start doing therapy should be studied closely for their suicidal thoughts and abrupt change in their behaviour.
- Generic Lyrica causes dizziness
- It causes drowsiness
- It causes the accommodation of fluids which is also referred to as oedema
- It causes drug mouth
- Weight gain
- Blurry vision
- It causes tiredness in a person
- It changes the vision of a person
- It decreases the level of concentration of a person
- It causes an abnormal gait
Other side effects associated with Generic Lyrica (Prgabalin) medicine are:
- It causes constipation
- It causes nausea
- It causes Amnesia
- It increases the appetite of a person
- It causes flatulence
- It can make a person feel disoriented
- It causes vomiting
- This drug can bring the blood pressure of a person down
- It can cause heart problems in a person
- Reduced blood platelets in a person’s life.
- Increase in the creatinine kinase levels of a person
Having an increased creatinine is because of the muscle injury in a person and has been experienced in some patients who take this medicine.
These patients usually end up complaining about muscle pain and end up feeling tenderness or weak especially if their condition is associated with malaise and fever. This drug is also associated with angioedema which is the swelling in the face, lips, gums and throat of a person.
What is the recommended dosage of the drug Lyrica?
- Generic Lyrica (Prgabalin) drug is taken with or without food.
- This drug is used to treat the medical condition of neuropathy in a person. The initial recommended dosage for that condition is 50 mg which is taken three times a day. The dosage of this drug is hiked up to 100 mg per day and is usually divided in a set of three in a day which can increase the dosage of this medicine to 300 mg only after using this drug for a week straight.
- This drug is also used to treat Postherpetic neuralgia: The recommended dosage of this drug for a medical condition postherpetic neuralgia is 75-150 mg taken twice in a day or can even be taken at the dose of 50 – 100 mg three times a day. The dosage of this medicine should begin at an initial dosage of 75 mg twice a day or 50 mg three times a day.
The dosage of Generic Lyrica drug can be increased to 100 mg thrice a day which makes the total dosage of 300 mg/day. If a person still feels pain after taking this drug for about 2 to 4 weeks, the dosage of this medicine should be increased from 300 mg – two times in a day to 200 mg – three times in a day which would increase the time of action of this medicine. The dosage of the medicine which is above 200 mg can have more side effects and that is why people should consult their doctor before starting the dosage of this medicine.
- This drug is used to treat the pain caused in a person due to spinal cord injury: The initial dosage for this can start with 150 to 600 mg per day and people start taking 75 mg twice a day which is then increased to 150 mg which is twice than what people take before. Sometimes if the results seen by this dosage are still inadequate, the dosage is increased to 300 mg and is usually followed by a gap of 2 to 3 weeks.
- This drug is used to treat seizures: The recommended dose for treating seizure is 150 to 600 mg with a starting dose of 150 mg and the dose of the medicine is usually divided into 2 to 3 doses. The dosage of this medicine is slowly increased by checking the tolerability of a person. People should not exceed the dosage of after buy Generic Lyrica (Pregabalin) drug to more than 600/day.
- Treat Fibromyalgia: A dosage of 300 to 450 mg distributed in 2 to 3 doses in order to treat the condition of Fibromyalgia.
Interactions faced by the drug Generic Lyrica
- This drug should not be taken with alcohol as it can increase the sedative effect of the drug Pregabalin.
- This drug can cause weight gain and water retention in a person. This can increase the rate of heart failure in a person.
Is it safe to use the drug Generic Lyrica at the time of pregnancy?
There are no proper studies that can show whether this drug is suitable for pregnant women, However, people should consult a doctor before starting this drug.
What are the different dosage available for the drug?
Generic Lyrica drug is available in the form of capsules and comes in the form of many dosages.
- Lyrica – 300 mg
- Lyrica – 100 mg
- Lyrica – 75 mg
- Lyrica – 200 mg
- Lyrica – 150 mg
- Lyrica – 225 mg
- Lyrica – 50 mg
- Lyrica – 25 mg
This drug also has an oral solution version to it which comes in 20 mg/ml
Working of the drug Lyrica?
This drug works by binding the calcium channel in the nerves of a person which can modify the release of neurotransmitters. Once the communication between these nerves is reduced, it starts contributing to the pain and seizure of a person.
Is the drug Generic Lyrica approved by FDA?
This drug is approved by FDA and has been out in the market since the year 2014.