Modafinil: Uses And Interaction With Alcohol
What is modafinil?
Modafinil is a kind of oral medication that is usually used for inducing wakefulness in people who feel a high level of sleepiness. Modafinil is very similar to the drug Armodafinil, also called Nuvigil. Modafinil induces wakefulness in patients who feel sleepier than usual by targeting and effecting certain hormones and chemicals which control the sleeping a waking aspect of the person in the brains of patients. The exact way in which modafinil works, its extract biological mechanism is not yet known. It has been in the markets for a while after being approved by the FDA in the year of 1998 in December.
Uses of modafinil
Modafinil is a smart pill which reduces sleepiness caused by narcolepsy as well as other sleep disorders like having episodes where one stops breathing while sleeping, also known as obstructive sleep apnoea. Modafinil is also used to help with shift work sleep disorder in which a person has difficulty staying awake due to the night shift et cetera. It is a very effective and widely used drug.
Modafinil helps keep a person awake, although it is not to be understood as a substitute for getting adequate amounts of sleep. It is to be noted that this medicine does not cure sleep disorders or anything, and it should not be used instead of getting sleep all the time. Also, Modafinil may not necessarily keep your drowsiness and sleepiness at bay and is not an immediate cure for being tired. Modafinil works by affecting the hormones ad other chemical substances that affect your circadian rhythm. Not much is known about how exactly this pill works to keep you awake.
Interactions of modafinil with alcohol and other drugs
Modafinil has severe interactions with alcoholic as well as other drugs. Read each pointer below to find out more:
The reaction of modafinil with alcohol:
Nemerov mid alcohol with Modafinil as they are very reactive and can cause a varied list of reactions.
Not a lot about such reactions of alcohol and modafinil is known, so it is advised to combine them both.
People who have taken Modafinil with alcohol have been reported to have blackouts and hallucinations as well as severely blurry vision. Some other people felt that mixing modafinil and alcohol caused them to have a way higher tolerance of alcohol and didn’t remain lightweights.
Blackouts. Others experience heightened alcohol tolerance and difficulty feeling drunk despite having more drinks than normal.
Symptoms may include:
- Loss of vision
- Blurry vision
- Muscle pain
- Lack of coordination
- Slower reflexes
- Inability to concentrate at one place
- Suicidal thoughts
- Mood swings
- Anger and frustration
- Tingling sensation in arms, feet as well as leg
- Swelling in the throat, neck as well a mouth
- Insomnia in some cases
- Complete blackouts
- The shorter span of attention
- Modafinil has several other interactions with the drugs, such as ecstasy or street drugs. It is strongly advised never to take them together. Modafinil might cause reactions if taken along with high levels of caffeine as well. A patient must discuss their medical history with their doctors as well as their habits and lifestyle choices.
Side Effects of modafinil
Following are the side effects of Modafinil. If you experience any of these while taking this medicine, please call your general physician right away and seek medical assistance immediately. Here is the list:
- Blurry vision
- Difficulty in getting sleep
- Suicidal n thoughts
- Mood swings
- Irregular heartbeat
- Pounding in the heart
- Higher pulse rate
- Agitation chest pain
- Pains in any other areas which are uncommon
- Rise or drop in one’s body temperature
- Trouble while breathing
- Swelling in lymph nodes
- Skin breaking
- Dry mouth
- Getting easily bruised
- Nose inflammation
- Issues with digestion
- Memory loss
- Loss of vision
- Problems with excretion of feces and urine
- Tingling sensation
- Loss of appetite
Although these side effects are rather uncommon and it is not often that people complain of these, one should be careful and notify their pharmacist or GP immediately.
Precautions to be taken with modafinil
We have made a list of things that the people using this medicine should take notes of and tell their general physician, pharmacist, or doctor before they prescribe them this medicine. So, keep in mind the following things:
- If you have any allergic reactions to pills especially of this nature
- Tell them your medical history in detail
- If you have any cardiovascular diseases, tell them
- Of you have had ivory of getting chest pains, angina, stroke, irregular heartbeats
- If you are currently on any other medication
- If you suffer some any phycological disorders
- If you are depressed
- If you take any medication for your heart like amphetamines.
- If you have any or taking medications for any sort of liver disease, kidney disease, and high blood pressure
- If you have had any previous history of drug abuse or even have had a family history of substance abuse
- If you consume alcohol
- If you use marijuana
Keep this in mind:
Sleep disorder is known to slow down your reflexes and affect negativity your ability to react to things quickly, therefore, it is not advised to people to do things that require a lot of concentration and a lot of alertness as well as having fast reflexes like driving or using heavy machinery or doing intricate work like surgeries. Talk to your general physician about consuming alcohol or marijuana.
Overdose of modafinil
If someone happens to overdose on Modafinil, you should call the poison control services right away. Try to get medical assistance immediately, or this could have extremely severe consequences.