Nootropics have been one of the most famous substances that have been used in all sectors like programming, sports, academics, and other occupations. People who want to stay ahead of the line are extensively using these drugs. This drug helps in boosting memory, increasing cognitive function, and improving the overall body performance.
What is the main purpose of nootropics?
The best and the most popular function of nootropic are to increase the brainpower. However, nootropics have more to them than just that. Nootropics are also famous as smart pills or cognition enhancers. They provide many benefits to the medical world. They are famous for enhancing the cognition function.
Who introduced the term nootropic?
It was in the early seventies when Dr. Corneliu E. Giurgea from Romania introduced the term nootropic. Since then, this drug has been the go-to drug for most programmers, actors, athletes, entrepreneurs, and students.
Common Brain Boosters
There are various brain boosters currently ruling the market in the form of psycho-stimulants. Psycho-stimulants are lab-synthesized chemicals. Many companies under different brand names sell them. Nootropics belong to either category:
Uses of nootropics/smart drugs
People who consume nootropics can experience many other benefits of the drug other than cognition enhancement. Studies claim that these drugs can provide neuroprotection as well. However, this benefit can be reaped only after long-term consumption of the drug. some of the additional benefits of the drug are:
- Improvement in alertness
- Enhanced sense of vigilance
- Improved attention span
- A better sense of motivation
- Increment in the concentration power
- Increased brain performance
- Better creativity
- Better problem-solving capacity
- Minimal effects of age on the brain
Types of Nootropics
Before we start discussing how nootropics work and how to consume the medicines, it is important to know what effects it can have on the brain. Nootropics are of various types and each kind has its function. So, let us first throe light on the types of nootropics.
Nootropics are of three types:
- Natural Nootropics
- Synthetic Nootropics
- Hybrid Nootropics
Natural nootropics are organic and herbal compounds that are safer and less addictive than lab-synthesized drugs. However, precautions and safety measures are still important. The use of nootropic substances first began in ancient China. The additional use of these drugs is that they help in tackling environmental issues and stress.
Studies and tests show that these substances help increase cognition abilities and improve memory. They can also help in minimizing fatigue and stress. Some of the natural nootropics are:
- Rhodiola Rosea.
- Ginko Biloba.
- Bacopa Monnieri.
Synthetic nootropics are brain enhancers that have been prepared in the lab. These compounds are made by mixing and merging various components. The only negative effects of these drugs are that they are addictive or habit-forming. But the drugs are very beneficial as well. They can help in protecting the brain cells from premature aging and death. Some of the lab-made nootropics include:
- Docosahexaenoic acid DHA.
- Eicosapentaenoic acid EPA.
- S –Adenosyl methionine.
- L – theanine.
- Aniracetam, etc.
The hybrid nootropics are the ones that do not fall under any of the above categories. These are natural nootropic substances given a tweak to enhance the overall effectiveness. These substances are believed to increase mental performance. Some of the hybrid nootropics available are:
- Alpha GPC.
- L-tyrosine. etc.
Effects of the Various Cognitive Enhancers
Natural and synthetic nootropics are beneficial in several ways. They are also termed as smart drugs. Studies show that these drugs help increase brain function and minimize drowsiness. It can even improve attention span and keep the sleep-deprived chaps alert. They can also minimize fatigue and improve overall brain function. So, it increases the ability to complete tasks and achieve goals. Let us discuss the goodness of some of the nootropics in detail.
- Adderall: Adderall is a synthetic nootropic that can improve behavior, enhance attention and memory. It has a brain-boosting capacity. It increases the production of neurotransmitters such as noradrenaline and dopamine. The greater the level of dopamine, the more optimistic is the person. It also promotes alertness, however, it may reduce the appetite. It improves long as well as short-term memory. Also, it improves impulse outcomes.
- Nicotine: Nicotine helps in improve motor functioning and increasing the alertness, and enhance the attention span. It can even have an impact on the handwriting of a person.
- Caffeine: caffeine can increase the energy levels of the body and induce alertness. It can also boost the brainpower, improve memory, speed up the reflex time, and perk up the overall cognitive functioning. It blocks the receptors that signal the brain when a person in fatigue. So, it stimulates the brain and CNS.
- Noopept: it enhances the growth of new cells in the brain. It releases BDNF, derived neurotrophic factor in bulk, thus promoting the growth of new cells. It can also help in improving memory.
- Creatine: it helps improve the memory of a person. It can increase up to 38% recalling capabilities of vegetarians who take this supplement.
- Alpha GPC: Alpha GPC contains neuroprotective capabilities. It stimulates the brain by producing acetylcholine in a large amount. Acetylcholine is a chemical, which helps the nerves in communicating with each other. It makes the brain healthy and increases brain function.
- L – theanine: it is a brain booster that helps in minimizing stress. It can also relax the body. Moreover, it improves mental focus and effectively reduces stress.
- Huperzine: this compound helps combat Alzheimer’s disease. Initially, it came as a drug to relax the muscles and treat bruises. It can also help in improving the blood circulation in the body.
- 5 –HTP: it is a brain-boosting component that can increase the production of serotonin. However, it has a risk of abuse. This drug can reduce appetite, fix digestive problems, and minimize night terrors.
- GABA: this drug helps reduce stress. It relaxes the brain and minimizes anxiety.
Some side effects of using smart drugs are:
- Swelling in lips, tongue, throat, and face
- Trouble breathing
- Dark urine
- Skin rash
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Back pain
- Mouth sores
- Suicidal thoughts
- Shortness of breath
- Unusual behavior or thoughts