The Difference Between Generic Lyrica Vs Gabapentin
- Both Generic Lyrica, as well as Gabapentin, are anti-epileptic medicines that are used to treat nerve pain and seizures in a person.
- Gabapentin is used extensively to treat nerve pain in humans which is caused because of shingles
- Some of the other users of the drug Lyrica include nerve pain which is caused because of peripheral neuropathy, fibromyalgia, and postherpetic neuralgia.
What are Gabapentin vs Generic Lyrica? How do they work?
The drug Gabapentin is an anti-seizure drug that helps people with the seizure pain. It is a pain that is followed because of shingles. The work of Gabapentin is very similar to the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid and both of them have the same mechanism of action. This drug is used to reduce the pain that is related to response and seizures.
The drug Lyrica is an oral drug that is chemically related to gabapentin and is used to treat pain that comes due to neurological diseases. The neurological pain is caused because of seizures.
Uses of Gabapentin Vs Uses of Generic Lyrica
Uses of the drug Gabapentin:
This drug is used to treat problems that are associated with a seizure disorder and nerve damage. Apart from that, this drug is also used for:
- Withdrawing cocaine
- Withdrawal due to alcohol
- Hot flashes
- Diabetic Neuropathy
Uses of drug Generic Lyrica:
- it cures Spine Injury
- Treats Fibromyalgia
- It cures spinal injury
Side Effects of Generic Lyrica Vs Gabapentin?
Side Effects of Lyrica
These medicines always make the other person get suicidal thoughts and that is why it is important to balance the risk of suicidal behavior in a person while using this drug. Monitoring patient’s behavior is a must while being on this drug. Some of the common side effects caused by the drug Pregabalin Generic Lyrica or Lyrica are listed below:
- Dry Mouth
- Loss of vision
- Blurry vision
- Double Vision
- Weight Gain
- Abnormal gait
- Difficulty due to concentration
- Increased appetite
- Low Blood pressure
- Heart Failure
- Reduction in the blood platelets
Some of the rare side effects of the medicine include: swelling in the face, gums, tongue, larynx, etc.
Side Effects of Gabapentin
Some of the common side effects associated with Gabapentin are listed below:
- Fluid Retention
- Difficulty in speaking
- Double Vision
- Blurry Vision
- Jerky Movements
- Abnormal movement of the eyes
- Memory loss
Some of the serious side effects associated with this drug include:
- Pain in the Joint
- Weight Gain
- Sickness due to motion
- Infection due to virus
- Blurry vision
This drug also comes with a lot of suicidal tendencies and can leave a person thinking very negative and low at the moment. It is important to monitor the patient while they are on this drug.
Both Lyrica as well as gabapentin are known to interact with drugs and alcohol in the same way and can cause some side effects with some anti-inflammatory drugs.
Some of the branded names for the drug Gabapentin include Gralise, Horizant, FusePag, etc. Pregabalin is the generic name of the drug Lyrica.
Is the drug Gabapentin addictive?
The drug Gabapentin is a narcotic drug and has not been classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency. However, the side effects associated with this drug are not related to what people go through when they are getting addicted to a certain drug. These side effects include:
- Feeling Anxious
- Drug Abuse
Dosage of Generic Lyrica vs Gabapentin
For Generic Lyrica:
- This drug can be taken with or without food and there is no hard and fast regarding the diet that should be taken with this drug.
- The initial recommended dosage of this Generic Lyrica medicine begins with 50 mg which is taken 3 times a day which makes the overall dosage of 150 mg per day. The dosage is increased from 150 mg to 300 mg.
- The recommended dosage of this medicine for treating postherpetic neuralgia is 100 mg thrice a day which makes the dosage of 300 mg in a day. The dosage starts with an overall dosage of 150 mg a day which is then pushed up to 300 mg in a day.
- For treating the condition of postherpetic neuralgia, the dosage of 1800 mg per day is recommended.
- For treating seizures, the dosage of 1800 mg per day which is usually divided into 3 doses is taken.
- The withdrawal of this medicine should be done slowly over a period of one week’s time.
- This drug can be taken without or with food
Interaction of Gabapentin and Lyrica
Drug Interaction of Generic Lyrica:
- If you take drugs or alcohol that increase sedation, the overall interaction of this medicine with alcohol can cause a person to feel more sedated.
- If you take pregabalin with this medicine, there are side effects such as weight gain, heart failure, fluid retention which when combined with the side effects of this medicine can cause severe side effects.
Drug Interaction of Gabapentin:
- Antacids are known to reduce the concentration of gabapentin in the blood which can reduce the effect of this medicine and in that case, it should be administered 2 hours before taking this medicine.
- The drug Morphine is known to increase the concentration of blood in a person and can even enhance the side effects caused in the central nervous system of a person.
Is it safe to take Generic Lyrica vs Gabapentin at the time of pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Safety for the drug Lyrica:
- No proper studies have been done on the drug Lyrica and its effect on a pregnant woman.
- There are no proper studies that can show whether the drug Lyrica is excreted in the breast milk of a person
Safety for the drug Gabapentin:
- There are no proper studies that show the effect of this medicine on pregnancy
- The drug Gabapentin passes to the breast milk of a person, therefore people who are breastfeeding should not take this drug.
Both Gabapentin and Lyrica are used to treat seizures and other kinds of nerve pain. Gabapentin is used to treat other medical conditions in a person which includes substance abuse and pain.